Would you like to stay another year here at Republic at Sam Houston? You don’t have to wait any longer — come renew your lease with us today! Also, we will have our Thanksgiving feast open to all residents and visitors. More information will come soon!
When you turn on your heater, you may experience a burning smell — but don’t panic! The dust on the filter and vents are causing the smell. Simply let it run and air out.
Reminders and Updates
Want to stay updated? Text REPUBLIC to opt in to our text messages. You will receive emergency notifications as well as updates on events and maintenance.
Building a Career in College
College is such a busy, crazy time for many people that focusing on the here and now is all most can do. Well, good news! There are several ways to incorporate career building into your everyday busy life. By taking the following steps, you’ll be on your way to creating a successful future for yourself:
- Check out the Career Success Portal. Did you know that your community offers you 24/7 access to millions of jobs and internships along with many tools to improve your resume and interviewing skills? Check out CareerSuccessPortal.com and create an account today!
- Visit your university’s career center. Employers are focusing more and more on experience and skills rather than just good grades. Get in touch with organizations through the career center to branch out and participate in different activities you normally wouldn’t have. This gives you a chance to explore your major and others, and see what you’re truly passionate about.
- Evaluate yourself. Your future employer will want to know why you’re a good fit for their company. College is about finding your strengths and weaknesses — take time now to figure out your skills, values, personality traits, and interests. Learning about yourself will help prepare you for interviews when you’re hit with the question, “What do you think you will excel at the most in this position?”
- Challenge yourself. The more you’re willing to get out of your comfort zone, the more likely you’re to overcome your weaknesses. Apply for the part-time job at your apartment complex you normally wouldn’t apply for, or take that theater class you’ve always wanted to take. By challenging yourself, you’re building important skills and personality traits that will help you rise within your field.
- Take your work seriously. Whether you have a part-time job or volunteer, take the experience seriously. You can use previous supervisors for references when you are beginning your career. It will pay off in the long run to succeed in the workplace by building useful skills that you’ll have for life.
- Find a mentor. Find someone who is doing what you want to do. You can search on LinkedIn to get connected and network with others in your field who are also passionate about what they do. Talk to your professors and pick their brains as to why they chose the career they did. Once you find a mentor, everything can change. You become more motivated to succeed in something you love doing because you have someone who makes the experience a million times better.
Did you know you can build your credit history just by paying your rent? A strong credit history can help you with achieving personal and professional success. We have partnered with RentTrack to offer you the opportunity to have your rent payments reported to all three credit bureaus! Participants in this program have seen their credit scores go up an average of 51 points! Get more details and enroll today at renttrack.com/campusadvantage.
Community Events Calendar
National Doughnut Day — Monday, November 5 from 10 a.m.–2 p.m. — Stop by the office and pick up a doughnut and a drink for National Doughnut Day.
November Birthdays — Tuesday, November 6 from noon–5 p.m. — Swing by the front office and help us celebrate your birthday in style! We will have birthday cake and coupons from our sponsors!
Republic’s Canned Goods Drive — November 7–26 — Republic is giving back for the holidays! Bring down your canned goods to the clubhouse for a great cause. All donations will be sent to Good Shepherd!
The Day After Sundae — Monday, November 12 from 6–7 p.m. — Free ice cream? Where?! In the clubhouse? Let’s go! Meet us for some tasty ice cream sundaes and all of the toppings you’ll need.
Thanksgiving with Republic — Wednesday, November 14 from 7–8:30 p.m. — Come on down to the clubhouse and enjoy a catered Thanksgiving meal from Farmhouse Cafe with your favorite community staff!
Boot-Scootin’ Boogie — Thursday, November 15 from 7–8:30 p.m. — Come out to the clubhouse to stomp your boots and swing that pretty lady round and round. It’s time to get to stepping in this Texas two-step! See y’all at the clubhouse!
Social Media Frenzy: Thanksgiving Edition — November 19–22 — During Thanksgiving week, tag your Thanksgiving posts with #RepublicatSamHouston. The resident with the best Thanksgiving post will win a gift card.
French Toast Social — Wednesday, November 28 from 10:30 a.m.–noon — Swing by the clubhouse and grab yourself some sweet and savory French toast and juice!